- This event has passed.
Marae Booked – Rakatahi Wanaka
June 2 @ 8:00 am - June 5 @ 5:00 pm
Rakatahi Wānaka – Mahika Kai
2nd – 4th June – Maruaroa – Pipiri 2017
(Queen’s Birthday weekend)
Kaupapa : Mahika Kai
traditional and contemporary food gathering practices
Who : Rakatahi (16-24 years)
Opportunities to be involved with :
- Pāwhara (split open for drying)
- Hīnaki (eel trap)
- Auahi (smoke eel)
- Pātai ki kā tākatā taiao (ask questions of experts)
- Tunu kai (Group cooking competitions)
- Whakatika whare, wharepaku (look after the marae)
- Mihi Whakatau Karakia Waiata
- Kohikohi kuku (gather mussels)
- Low tide – 12.39 0.5m at Hunts Beach)
Do you want to come to a wānanga at our marae at for Makaawhio young people aged 16-24 on Queen’s Birthday weekend?
The focus for the Saturday will be tuna (eels) and kuku (mussels).
On the Sunday we intend to go into the bush near our old urupā and do some plant identification.
Some of us will arrive on Friday evening. We will start the wānanga with a pōwhiri on Saturday morning and run through until Sunday after lunch.
Text me, email me your questions or call me. We can help with travel to the marae.
Kathleen A Langi Kaitoko Mātauranga
Mobile: 021 992 348 email: Kathleen.Langi@ngaitahu.iwi.nz